Sunday, October 14, 2007

If your happy and you know it...

So adjusting to life down here was actually easier than I expected. I prepared myself for "tough" days, homesickness, some sadness and loneliness... and I am happy to report that all of that has really been kept to a minimum! I think that I can mostly attribute this smooth transition to working -- being Nils' nanny (although I don't really think of it as work, or myself as a nanny) and Marisol.
(Marisol loves chairs -- big and small! She loves her new arm chair that is just her size :-)
I just love being a mommy! Don't get me wrong, I have days that I get a little bored, and I am tired at the end of the day -- those 2 little pairs of legs keep me moving! But for the most part I am just very happy. We are so busy here -- there are new playgrounds to explore, new people to meet, and the weather is unbelievably nice right now. Isn't there some saying about "idle hands" or busy hands? Well, all I know is that I am usually happy when I stay busy.

(Here we are at our last "Baby Sign" class. Have I mentioned how many cool classes there are down here? We just started "Hola Baby" with Nils last week too!)

I sometimes feel a little guilty for being so happy. Why am I so lucky and blessed? But I guess being miserable never helped anyone else either! So I guess the best thing to do is try and do little things to help others every day. So there you have it. A couple of deep thoughts on happiness from D.C. (I recently read an interview article with Brad Pitt -- he says that helping others really is good for you and not at all altruistic -- and he must know what he is talking about :-)

Oh and here is a link to an article about happy people that I enjoyed.

All that talking on the phone is really doing me good! :-) I guess that it isn't such a bad habit to teach Marisol -- good thing, because it is already one of her favorite things to do! So, once again family and friends -- keep in touch! It is good for all of us -- keeps us happy and healthy.





1 comment:

kim dance said...

Living in a big city with small kids is actually TONS of fun, huh? There is so much to do! I loved living in Seattle when I had my first 2 babies. Museums, parks, shopping, culture...all just great. Once they are older it's nice to be back in "suburbia" where you have access to a wal-mart and the elementary school is around the corner. But for now, enjoy the city life! I'm so glad you are loving it!