Monday, March 4, 2013

Marisol Lessons

Marisol has explained several things to me this week that I feel are worth noting.

1) Before bed one night last week we were reading our normal go to sleep material, ZooBooks, and Marisol was looking intently at the one titled, "Big Cats". She told me she had to explain something to me. Then she said, whenever you want to say "lots of things" you put an "s" on the end - as in "cats". You are absolutely correct I exclaimed (I get excited when she "teaches" me things ;-) So we found some more examples - like "ZooBookS" and "WhaleS".
Grammar lesson of the day - CHECK

2) Last night Marisol said, "Mommy I think there are two kinds of love - the kind for your friends and family, and the kind... like, um between a girlfriend and boyfriend."

Me: "You're right, there is more than one kind of love!" (excited again)

Then, wondering if I can push her a little, "Well, what kind of love do Daddy and I have then?"

Marisol: (very little hesitation) Both. First when you were boyfriend and girlfriend you had that kind, then you got married and had kids and now you have the other.

Kids are so smart!
Not sure how to categorize this lesson - Philosophy, Psychology, Health, Social skills? You pick.

3) Just now in the basement Marisol said to me, "You know, we really all eat one kind of food. Sunshine. Because plants eat sunshine and then herbivores eat plants. Then carnivores eat those animals that ate the plants that ate sunshine. And so on."

Science/ecology lesson - CHECK!

And this is why I really love Unschooling, because instead of me "teaching" my kids - they teach me. Every day. I just need to be present and listen (not always easy, but so rewarding!!)

No comments: