Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Book Reviews

I recently read this book ("Pushed" by Jennifer Block) and it was very interesting. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in childbirth at all. The author basically gives us a view into childbirth across America. Some of the stories in here are pretty unbelievable. I knew that I was lucky to have such a good birth experience, but I don't think that I realized exactly how lucky. (Thank you Evelyn for recommending it to me!)

I also just read a book called "Unconditional Parenting" by Alfie Kohn that I found very interesting too. He makes a case not only against all forms of punishment (including "time-outs) but also against rewards (including praise). He cites studies that show that these methods are basically not effective and even worse that they can be harmful. You may be wondering what to do in place of these things -- and even the author doesn't just give you an easy answer. His main idea is to use "love and reason" with our children. A little tough when you are dealing with a screaming toddler or an irrational preschooler I'm sure... but I think in the end it may pay off. It may sound a little crazy but read it for yourself -- a lot of it makes a lot of sense!

That's all for now from your friendly "Bookworm". :-)

1 comment:

Doulabug said...

Susan! "Pushed" is sitting right next to me on my desk! I am reading it as well, and wish every woman who is pregnant or considering becoming pregnant would read it. It is scary. It makes me worried for birthing in the future. You DID have an awesome birth, though!